Friday, December 12, 2008

Technicalities (Choices... continued)

I made a post about free will back in August and I have an adjustment to make. At one point I claimed humans could predict the future if given all current information. After further thought I believe this to be impossible, because of a technicality.

Future prediction via mathematical means is impossible because the function for finding future events would necessarily take those same future events. This is because human knowledge of the future would immediately impact it. I've provided a sample formula below to give you an idea of what I mean.


E = f(A,B,C,...,E)

E = future events (next set of events in the next unit of time)
f = future calculating function
A,B,C = information from the current unit of time


Now my stance on free will still stands however. Just because the future cannot be predicted, doesn't mean it's not predetermined.

No comments:

Post a Comment